Who Should Manage Social Media Accounts?
The best person will be someone in your office/group who's in charge of communicating with the public in other ways (by phone, in person, through newsletters, etc.). A reliable volunteer under the supervision of a college employee may also be an option. The person you choose should:
- Have good communication skills (includes grammar!)
- Understand your goals and mission
- Be familiar with CAES and UGA social media policies
- Be familiar with the audience
- Have the knowledge and authority to represent the organization
- Have the time and knowledge to use the tools
You should have more than one person who has administrative access to your account(s) so that access can be maintained long-term. Also, try to appoint a team lead who will coordinate the strategy and stay in touch with the CAES Social Media Team.
Are There Guidelines to Follow?
- Before creating any pages or accounts to conduct university business, secure the approval of the CAES Social Media Team.
- Keep event information for minors/4-H secured.
- Post quality content regularly, but don't over update.
- Monitor comments and respond promptly. Social media is not a one-way broadcast.
- Keep the goals of building and strengthening relationships and promoting the college in mind.
- It is not recommended to run contests or promotions that result in prizes on your account.
- Understand copyright and fair use laws.
- Use common sense and a professional tone. Take responsibility for what you say.
- Get help from OCCS if you are unsure or confused.
- Be accurate. If you do make an error, correct it quickly and visibly (deleting the original post is discouraged).
- Don't act as an "expert." When possible, link to the original source.
- Don't post sensitive information or information that isn't a matter of public record.
- Don't post about personal opinions, non-college related issues or unrelated promotions.